Click for Spanish Version
Data as of: 08/05/2020
Is paint manufacture an essential economic activity/industry?
Yes, the Ministry of Health published the list of activities considered essential. These activities include those that preserve and maintain critical infrastructure. ANAFAPYT explained that the paint industry participates in essential activities, such as hospital and medical infrastructure, and the chemical and hardware industry.
Is the sale of paint in dedicated paint stores essential economic activity/industry?
Yes. ANAFAPYT highlighted that the industry helps in the maintenance and repair of critical infrastructure that ensures the production and distribution of essential services.
Did you Association advocate for essential status? ESSENTIAL INDUSTRY and ADVOCACY arguments for continued operations?
No. It was not necessary since the paint industry is considered as essential according to Category 325-Chemical Industry, from the National Institute of Statistics and Geography (INEGI).
What arguments were used to support the claim?
The core strategies of ANAFAPYT´s stance are:
- We reinforce that the paint industry participates in essential activities such as the maintenance and repair of critical infrastructure such as hospital and medical infrastructure, and chemical and hardware industries, which ensure the production and distribution of essential services.
- As part of the essential activities for the country, companies that manufacture paints and related coatings continue to collaborate with the supply chain.
Are major cities in your country under quarantine? Lockdown?
Yes, major cities are quarantined taking the measures outlined by the government.
The Ministry of Health ordered the immediate suspension, from March 30 to May 30, 2020, of non-essential activities in the public, private and social sectors in order to mitigate the spread of the SARS-CoV2 virus in the community.
Is this situation intensifying? easing?
The situation is increasing. Currently we are going through Phase 3 of the contingency: The General Health Council approved the extension of the social-distancing campaign until May 30, as well as the extension until that date, of the suspension of non-essential activities, in order to mitigate the dispersion and transmission of COVID-19.
Borders: Are your country’s borders open to the transit of people?
Mexico and the USA: Starting at 00:01 am on Saturday, March 21, border traffic between the two countries was partially limited to essential travel.
Both countries agreed not to limit the normal flow of workers and students. The passage of people related to cross-border trade will not stop either.
Mexican and US citizens may return freely to their country of origin and the passage of people traveling for medical purposes to either country will be allowed. Finally, those who move to respond to emergencies or public health purposes may cross the border normally.
On April 20, the United States Department of Homeland Security announced the extension by mutual agreement with Mexico and Canada of the closure of their common borders for another 30 days due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Borders: Are your country’s borders open to import/export of supplies used in the paint industry?
ANAFAPYT’s manual presents an overview of the manufacturing sector of products that are exported:
April 1, 2020 – Main export-related manufacturing sectors affected:
Automotive, auto parts, electrical and electronic; metalworking, furniture and product manufacturing among others.
The closures have been registered in the six border states with the United States, as well as in the states of Guanajuato, Querétaro, San Luis, Jalisco, Aguascalientes, Yucatán and Campeche.
SAFE PRODUCTION AND PRODUCT DELIVERY practices
High standards and sanitary precautions were established in all the points of sale of our associates, production plants, offices and distribution centers.
- Use of protective masks and disposable gloves.
- Antibacterial gel dispensers available to employees.
- Warehouse activities division, separating areas that are in contact with the external environment such as goods receiving and shipping.
- Implementation of different shifts to avoid people contact, even during shift changes.
- Avoid the exchange of tools between workers during shifts.
- Hand washing practices with soap and water after each contact.
Emerging PAINT AND COATINGS SALES DATA and/or market projections
There is a growth forecast for the years 2020-2029 for the global market for epoxy resin coatings and for the elastomeric wall coverings, which are the main players in the business.
Will your national government offer aid or support to industry for economic recovery?
No. A support for small and medium-sized enterprises and for the Fund for Social Development was announced, but no specific support was mentioned for the companies in the sector.
Will your national government offer regulatory relief to industry for economic recovery?
No. The manual does not mention anything about it because the Mexican government has not published anything regarding the sector.
Who is elegible and what are the requirements?
The Mexican government has not published anything regarding the sector.
Has your Association implemented additional or complementary means of communication during the pandemic?
Yes, through the following means:
- Publications on ANAFAPYT digital channels
- Development of communication and public relations strategy that reinforces the reputation of the association.
- Presence in the main communication channels such as El Universal, Milenio, El Heraldo de México, Mundo Ejecutivo, Alfonso Chiquini, Automotive Indicator.
- Activation of the “Media Intelligence” department sending information daily to associates.
- Press releases, sent to the media (business, industry, automotive and local media in the 32 states of the country).
Choose as many as apply:
· Designated spokesperson
The four actions were applied:
Official spokesperson Ing. Marcelo Herrera, VP of Communication.
Specialized media coaching with our communication agency for the spokesperson.
Development of support materials for ANAFAPYT spokesperson (key messages, Q&A, spokesperson booklet, etc.)
- Social media strategy
Communication through ANAFAPYT’s social networks (Facebook Instagram, LinkedIn), where the position and actions that the association carries out in favor of the industry in the face of the health contingency were reflected in social media.
- WhatsApp group
- Additional special content poste d on your website?
Content on the website (#QuédateEnCasaYPintatuHogar (Stay home and paint your home) campaign), measures to prevent the COVID-19 virus), with excellent performance and more than 900 users and an average interaction of 13%, considered high.
Choose as many as apply:
- ESSENTIAL INDUSTRY and ADVOCACY arguments for continued operations
- PAINT RETAIL SECTOR SUPPORT INFORMATION
The manual includes a specific section regarding the general support provided by the government.
- SAFE PRODUCTION AND PRODUCT DELIVERY practices
It also contains a series of measures recommended for production and product delivery practices.
- Any REGULATORY RELIEF activities
The manual mentions the conditions that must be met for the authorities to carry out COVID-19 related inspections.
- SUPPLY CHAIN support efforts
Industrial chambers provide recommendations to mitigate the impact of COVID-19 and to keep supply chains operating for the benefit of the consumer in times of crisis.
- Emerging PAINT AND COATINGS SALES DATA and/or market projections
There is a growth forecast for the years 2020-2029 for the global market of epoxy resin coatings and for the global market of elastomeric wall coverings, the main players in the business.
- Any government ECONOMIC STIMULUS or industry financial support efforts
The government has not mentioned anything regarding specific economic support or stimuli for the industry.
OFFICIAL DECLARATIONS and EMERGENCY GOVERNMENT ORDERS